Love Shopping?

Love Shopping?
You can shop now at Haute District. Click on the Shopping link.

Monday, May 17, 2010

It's in the Jeans


I remember my first pair of jeans. I was 13 (ahem…not too long ago). The denim was a blue/white wash, straight leg and because I was a little skinny then, the top of the jeans went right above my waist. The material was a little too starchy for comfort and boy did it rise to my blossoming chest whenever I sat! I hadn’t heard of any fashion magazine then – never knew it existed actually. So you can guess that I hadn’t the faintest idea what to team up my first jeans with. The only thing that came to my mind was my basic yellow t-shirt my mom bought for me and thought it was cool to tuck it in and let the loose stiff waist of the jeans sashay about me as I walked! Thank God no one video taped me then! Gosh, how I managed to get through teenage-hood, I wonder.

Amazing thing is, today, you have an over-abundance of styles of jeans to choose from. Most jeans are of soft denim that moulds around your curves and they all have Spandex! Oh yes, that God-sent creation which took the word ‘curves’ to unimaginable heights!

Drew Barrymore in 7-For-All-Mankind jeans (picture above) is all smiles and that’s probably because of the comfort she feels (I’m guessing and I don’t think I’m too far from the truth..). Unlike my super starchy first jeans, 7-For-All-Mankind brand of jeans along with many others are designed and built to caress each curve and allow room for movement. The cut of a pair of jeans has also been improvised to show off a woman’s mid-riff by dipping the waist of the jeans below the waist line and slightly above the hips. This low-rise or mid-rise cut is the greatest gift to vertically challenged women (interpretation: short/petite) in that it elongates the upper body and therefore balances the proportions.

So, what kind of jeans should you invest in and how do you wear it? The power of observation will teach you….gosh…I’m beginning to sound like Yoda!

Let’s start with the skinny jeans a.k.a second skin denim (ok, I made that one up… so sue me!). But really, the skinny jeans are not for the faint-hearted. It has absolutely no mercy. It will hug your pins so tight some have been known to stop blood circulation! (What is with me today, I think I’ve got my Drama Queen hat on!) So, if you’ve got a pretty ok figure, or have a petite frame, then this type of jeans suits you. Any brand of jeans will carry the skinnies. So pick one out that fits your budget. You can’t go wrong with this one. A little tip though: if you have a heavy bottom or a big hip, you can still wear a skinny only make sure you wear a top that’s long and goes right down to just above your hips. This look below is a great way to wear a skinny for most body types.

The wide leg jean is a great cut that helps to elongate the legs. So you shorties out there, you know who you are….add this one to your collection. Minka below wears it with a cool blue jacket that she absolutely rocks in.

If you’re pregnant, God… I have fantastic news for you….my favourite brand of jeans (drum roll….) 7-For-All-Mankind this season made some jeans to fit your growing tummy. That super soft top sewn above the jeans gently caresses you while helping to hold the jeans in place. Get one and try it. Then post here and let us know how comfortable it was wearing one.


What talk about jeans is complete without mentioning the ripped jeans. Ah yes, the rip that can be customized to show off what you want – knee, calf…..butt cheeks (I’m not kidding here!). But the real fashionista knows all too well that less is more. Check out Terri Hatcher here. Ripped jeans looks so good paired with anything and even more so with a white T. The black blazer is the latest trend that the chic ones pair casuals with. I think Terri hit it on the nail this time. Pardon the pun, but she looks desperately chic!

No comments:

Post a Comment