Love Shopping?

Love Shopping?
You can shop now at Haute District. Click on the Shopping link.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Spotlight on Vera


I love Starbucks. The moment I walk into the café, the smell of coffee kisses my nostrils and tantalizes my taste buds. That sudden urge to take a sip of Sumatra or gulp down a frothy Frappucino takes control of me and all too soon I find myself floating to my seat, Starbucks mug in hand and the morning paper in the other. There’s something about a Starbucks morning that makes me look forward to the rest of the day no matter how gruelling my schedule is. Wait a minute….this sounds like a great ad for Starbucks – hey any of you Berjaya Group execs out there? My writing services are for hire! Call me.

Anyways, jokes aside, what I really meant to share with you today is all about froth (hence the Starbucks story J). Froth in fashion? Come on…

Well, whenever I look at Vera Wang’s S/S 2010 pieces, that’s what it reminds me of – froth! Take a look at one of my favourites from her collection below.


The staples in her collection are tulle, lace, satin and - her new accessory collection (the necklace worn by the model below is really strings of beads woven together to form a spider web like pattern).

Certainly different from the usual path taken by the majority of designers this season - her palette boasts no more than the shades of black, grey, white and blue (unusual for spring) . No sun-dresses (the way Dries and Oscar did). No burst of colours that Proenza Schouler or Thakoon used in their collections.

A non-conformist who has been in the fashion industry since 1969, Vera Wang started her designing career, designing bridal wear. Till this day, Vera is the go-to designer for new brides despite her expansion into the ready-to-wear line. Even so, she has won the respect of her fellow peers for her unique and artistic pieces.

I guess, all that froth in her designs really stems from her backbone bridal business. That said, there are pieces that have the working woman in mind. Take a look at these two pieces from her S/S 2010 collection for example. Notice that there is a lot of architecture; in particular the pleating and draping techniques she uses to bring out one’s womanly assets.


As for me, there is no doubt that I would really enjoy wearing one of these to work because it just screams ‘designer’! And all of us, who practically work to live a fashionable life, will agree that coughing up the big bucks would be worth it just for that reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment